Tuesday, December 14, 2010

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I thought I would depart, for a moment, from the discussion of choices and make a Christmas message for the few readers I have.  In these times,when people seem to be afraid of saying Merry Christmas, for fear of offending millions of Non-Christians, I am reminded of one of my favorite Christmas songs.  The words were written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, during the American Civil War,  But the message is pertinent today.  I found two stanzas that are left out of the song we sing today because they referenced the war,  so there was actually more despair in the original version.  I actually like the modern version better because it ends in a tone of hope for humanity.  Here it is:

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet the words repeat,
Of peace on earth, good will to men. 

I thought how as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had roll'd along th' unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men. 

And in despair I bow'd my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men." 

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."
'Til ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men! 


As we celebrate this Holiday Season, let us all remember the reason we are celebrating.  It is a remembrance of the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.  What message did He have for the world?  I refer to the passage in Mark where a scribe asked what was the greatest commandment. His answer is in Mark 12:30-31, "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all they heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."
"And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.  There is none other commandment greater than these."

What a wonderful world it would be if we truly loved each other as He loves us.

And I for one will greet all my friends with love and boldness!

Merry Christmas!  And Love to all!!

1 comment:

  1. how wonderfully put!!! and if we all indeed had the courage to be more loving and in fact show such love without fear of being exposed less would feel the void and loneliness of a loveless life!!

    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete