Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Families Defined

I realize that yesterday I kind of threw up in my post.  I said a lot of things all at once and I know I can write several posts about the subject matter of yesterdays post.  I will probably do just that, so stay tuned and consider yesterday an overview.

Meanwhile something else is on my mind today.  Recently Pres. Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, has become the subject of a media frenzy.  It seems the gay community is not pleased with his talk in General Conference.  Let me just say first that pres. Packer did not speak out against gays per se.  He spoke out against practices that take place outside the bounds of a clearly defined marriage.  Adultery has always been one of the top ten sins. (see Exodus 20)  Whether it is straight or gay, animal or vegetable, sex outside of marriage in any form is considered wrong.

I have been associated with people of many persuasions all of my life and I have always been very tolerant of their life choices.  I don't condone or support promiscuity in any form, but I don't discriminate against anyone because of their choices.  Agency is the right to choose.  and I will fight to the death to protect that principal and right.

A friend of mine I knew back in the late 80's put this subject into perspective.  During this period of time it was popular for gays to "come out" and "out" each other.  A big deal was made of these outings with great fanfare.  My friend said that even though we may know people engage in many acts in their marriages, we don't really want to know what they do behind closed doors.  Why then do we need to have gay acts forced in the public domain?  These things exist and we know they Happen.  Just don't get in our face with them.

Another small point:  why are people so appalled at the idea of polygamy yet we are supposed to accept every other alternative style of family?  Don't get me wrong, I am not supporting polygamy here either.  I have all I can do to keep up with one wife.  When I studied Social Psych we were taught all the different definitions of family today.  I really didn't agree then and I don't now.

Again, as "Mormons" we don't discriminate against Gay people or any other group.  We just believe the Lord when he told us, "Thou Shalt not commit adultery", In all of it"s forms.

Tomorrow, Back to choices and their consequences.  Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment