Friday, October 15, 2010

About the Title of This Blog

I had a number of ideas for the title of my blog.  One was The Epistles of Paul (Not the Apostle).  others included: Simply Hope; Strength in Weakness; and The Mustard Seed.  This final idea grabbed me, though.

I went and found the talk where I got this idea from.  It is Elder Richard G. Scott in a talk given October 3, 2009.  In order to give the proper credit I quote here:

"The inspiring influence of the Holy Spirit can be overcome or masked by strong emotions, such as anger, hate, passion, fear, or pride. When such influences are present, it is like trying to savor the delicate flavor of a grape while eating a jalapeño pepper. Both flavors are present, but one completely overpowers the other. In like manner, strong emotions overcome the delicate promptings of the Holy Spirit."

I hope I am not infringing on any copyrights or anything.  The Apostles are always inspiring and this talk was especially so to me.  The "still small voice" can be heard or felt by all who are willing to be still and listen with their heart.  I was also inspired recently by a book by Stephen R. Covey, Spiritual Roots of Human Relations.  In one chapter he tells of being invited to the University of Arizona for a "Religion In Life Week."  He tells of being in a discussion with a group of students about the "new morality" and after feeling like he was getting nowhere with them he was inspired to challenge the students to listen very carefully and they would hear a voice.  They wouldn't hear it in their ear, but if they listened carefully they would hear or feel it in their hearts.  He challenged them to be quiet and try it for one minute.   If they didn't feel something in that minute he would leave and not waste any more of their time.  Well after a minute of silence the results were astounding.  For more details read the book.  I recommend it for many reasons.  I just especially love the way he says to listen with our hearts.

I also chose the grapes and peppers imagery because to me these flavors are on the opposite ends of the flavor scale.  I realize there are many who eat jalapeños like they are candy but to me they are not.  I hope no one will be offended if I use them to compare good and evil or other opposing forces that we face every day in life.  As the prophet Lehi said to his son Jacob, in 2 Nephi 2, there must be opposition in all things.  We know this is necessary so we can have good and bad, etc.  If it weren't for the Jalapeños we may not appreciate the sweet grapes, in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment