Saturday, December 22, 2012

Charity Never Faileth

Today was a frustrating day!  I have several projects going on here at the house, and I have materials to do a number of things.  The problem is I need dry weather.  Yesterday was the first day of summer in Brasil.  Oddly, that means rainy season!  So that is one frustration.  I am also very frustrated with the way things have been in the U.S. politically.  "Fiscal Cliff," Gun Control, many things get under my skin.  It seems no one can agree to solutions for anything! At one point today I was ready to release a tyrade on Facebook. I had seen a number of statements that made my blood boil.  As I began to type, my laptop was giving me more grief than usual. You see, about a year ago, I left it on my veranda and it started to rain. the roof of our veranda leaks in a few places and my laptop was right under one of those.  The Touch pad and keyboard haven't been the same.  After making numerous corrections due to a combination of my poor typing and a keyboard that keeps doing random "stuff" my page dissappeared!  Then after I started over it did it again! Needless to say, my facebook "friends" were spared my ranting.

After I calmed down some, I happened to pick up a book by Former Prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Gordon B. Hinckley.  The book is "Stand a Little Taller" a book with 365 daily thoughts of counsel and inspiration. I randomly opened to a page and found this: "Charity is a Virtue  Above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfection - Colossians 3:14.  Charity for others, seeing and reaching beyond our own wants and comforts, cultivating kindness and gentility towards others from all of life's situations and circumstances - these are of the essence of civility, a virtue to be admired, a virtue to be aquired."

I have written about this before.  In fact,Charity is probably my favorite subject, so seeing this at this time made me stop and think about my own attitudes lately and gave me inspiration to return to my blog. I had a number of things to say about the state of America, that I may throw out for thoughts at another time, but today I feel we need to be reminded of this.

I would like to reiterate the idea that if we want to change the world we MUST start with ourselves.  This will hopefully extend to our families and friends and then to others and eventually, maybe even our enemies.  Charity works like that.  Pure love has a power that is contageous. It reaches out and fills our souls.  I saw a video the other day with people doing small acts of kindness.  Not only did it effect the recipients of the kindness, but others observing these acts were inspired to do similar acts and it went forward.  Wouldn't we all like to live in a world where this is the norm, and not the exception?  It starts with me.

I know I have need to repent and I hope others who are inclined to read this will feel the same way.  I fall short often. but I am striving to love all of mankind.  This, I believe, is a noble and worthy goal. and I would challenge all of us to consider it.

Just a question for any who happen to read my ramblings.  Even though I have taken up residence in Brasil, I love the good ole USofA and have a lot of thoughts about it.  I am thinking of writing some of those here. Do you think it would be better to start another blog for this purpose?  Comment please.

No comments:

Post a Comment